I participated in a panel Tuesday called “I’m right, you’re wrong–you stupid jerk” or incivility towards j on social media. The panel was part of UT’s Social Media Week. Others on the panel discussion were Knoxville sports radio personality Heather Herrington, UT professor Dr. Mark D. Harmon and East Tennessee Society of Professional Journalists President Annie Culver as moderator. Check out the Twitter coverage of #UTSMW19.
Here’s the video of the session.
In preparing for the session, I found a lot of research and tools just from the last year. Here are some of the best links I found.
Cool map (or data visualization) from 23andMe of where my relatives, who use the service and have shared their location, are located. Many of these are pretty distant, third cousin or greater, but there is still a DNA connection.
I’m experimenting with Google Earth Studio, the new web-based animation tool for Google Earth. I suspect it replaces the aging Google Earth Pro desktop program. It certainly appears more powerful.
One issue I had was how to make the animation a video. Studio exports files as JPG frames and Google suggests using Adobe Media Encoder or Adobe After Effects to create a video. Both are a bit pricey for me.
My solution is to use FFmpeg, an open source old-school, command-line program.
I’m a FFmpeg command-line newbie so you may have a better command line than this, But after Googling, this is what I used:
That command line string translates to 30 frames to second, starting with the image number 000 and incrementing up to number 001, 002, etc (the %03d part), and creating a video at a resolution of 1920×1080 (the same resolution Google Earth Studio rendered the animation), and outputting it as an mp4 file.
FFmpeg has a dizzying number of options so you may be able to improve upon the options used here. However, to my eye, the output matched what I got with the trial version of Adobe Media Encoder.
This is an interactive chart that will update. Click on a county to get county level trends. (Sorry, this embed doesn’t seem to work anymore because it’s not AMP compliant. I’ve substituted a static image.)