Image via CrunchBase
Would these eight be on your list of the biggest stories of the year for each of the last eight years? These are the stories that Google News says were the biggest stories in its eight years of existence based on the number of articles indexed.
From the Google News blog:
- 2003: Iraq War begins with the invasion of Iraq by the U.S. and allied forces
- 2004: George W. Bush defeats Senator John Kerry in U.S. Presidential election
- 2005: Hurricane Katrina strikes U.S. Gulf Coast
- 2006: Democrats take Congress and Nancy Pelosi becomes first female speaker of the House
- 2007: Former Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto is assassinated
- 2008: Barack Obama elected 44th president of the United States
- 2009: Death of Michael Jackson
- 2010 (to date): 7.0-magnitude earthquake occurs in Haiti
The 2008 election of President Obama takes the cake as the biggest news story since Google News was born.